Wednesday 22 September 2010

Andy Warhol from the Sonnabed Collection




I have been looking for new art/design books to sink my teeth into. I have not read in a while because of the manic last few months, from finishing my third year of my degree and graduating. Whilst looking through Amazon I came across the book Andy Warhol from the Sonnabed Collection.
The book features leana Sonnabend's impressive collection of seminal work directly from the Warhol studio at the time of its making. Ieana Sonnabed was a renowned gallerist and collector and an early and fervent supporter of Warhol. Sonnabed held three important exhibitions of his work at her Paris gallery, including the series Death and Disasters (1964), Flowers (1965), and Thirteen Most Wanted Men (1967). This beautifully illustrated book includes essays by Picasso biographer John Richardson and leading Warhol scholar Brenda Richardson, who was a close friend of Sonnabend’s. Her essay is an insightful portrait of the highly regarded dealer and her relationship with Warhol. The book is illuminated by previously unpublished private letters and includes stand-alone facsimile reproductions of the exhibition catalogues, originally published by Galerie Ileana Sonnabend.

The book is cleverly housed in a box fashioned to look like a Kellogg's cereal box. The book is a bit pricy but it may appear on my Christmas list. The cheapest I have been able to find it for is about £30 here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment