Sunday 8 May 2011

Harwich Redoubt

I have been meaning to post this for a while but I have finally got round to it. Last Bank Holiday Monday I went with my boyfriend to the Harwich Redoubt. I was very pleased with visit and would recommend to anyone that is local or is visiting that neck of the woods.


Here is the Redoubt's Website description:

The Redoubt is a circular fort commanding the eastern side of Harwich. It was built between 1807 and 1809 to support Landguard Fort on the opposite shore near Felixstowe and to form part of the chain of Martello Tower defences. It is 200 feet in diameter, is surrounded by a deep ditch and can only be entered by one removable drawbridge.

Tickets cost £3 which is a bargain for the amount of information and displays that are available. I was particularly interested from a graphic designer's point of view in the old packaging, illustrations, posters and signs that were on display. Here are some examples:














You can view the Redoubt's Website here : http://www.ecastles.co.uk/harwich.html








No comments:

Post a Comment